Ticket #1791 (new enhancement)
Exit application - suggestion
|Reported by:||mattt||Owned by:||will|
|Blocking:||Estimated Completion (week):|
I'd like to suggest a more intuitive method of exiting an application.
- The application needs to be active.
- Activate the main drop down menu.
- Wait for 'REMOVE' to appear (replacing 'qwerty')
- Click 'REMOVE'
- the menu will roll up.
Here's what I don't like about this:
- I have to activate an application to close it
- unnecessary delay
- 'qwerty' changes to 'REMOVE'
- It's confusing, does it relate to the keyboard in any way? no.
- the change to uppercase is overly dramatic
- The word 'remove'
- This is not a normal synonym for terminating an application
Here are my suggestions for improvement
- Change the verb to 'quit' or 'exit' or 'close'
- This is line with normal computer use - more intuitive
- Uppercase letters are not required
- Move the verb label to be horizontally aligned with the application name
- give clear indication of what is going to happen and what it will affect
- Move label/icon tot he right hand side of application name
- this is more intuitive
- reduces chances of accidental clicking
- Provide theme capacity for label/icon
- items should be able to be either an icon or label
- Don't close the menu after exiting application
- we do not know what the user wants to do
- user may want to close another
- user may want to choose an open application
I hope accept these the suggestion in the spirit that I give them.
It's an honest and genuine attempt to improve the gui, to create some consistency, and to encourage intuitive design.